2021-2022 Catalog

The Transfer Associate Degrees

Western Piedmont offers the Associate in Arts (AA), the Associate in Science (AS), and Associate in Fine Arts (AFA) degrees. These degrees are designed for transfer to senior colleges and universities.

The AA and AS degrees are designed in compliance with the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) between the NC Community College System and the constituent institutions of the University of North Carolina. The CAA enables North Carolina community college graduates of two-year AA and AS degree programs who are admitted to constituent institutions of The University of North Carolina to transfer with junior status.

Local Associate Degree Requirements

All students must meet the receiving institution’s foreign language and/or health and physical education requirements, if applicable, either before or after transfer. Students who wish to transfer to a private or out of state institution are subject only to the local degree requirements.

College transfer students have a new resource in preparing for successful transfer to North Carolina public universities.  Major Pathways are lists of courses recommended by the universities to prepare transfer students for success in specific majors at senior institutions.  Students should discuss their program emphasis and intended major with their advisor and consult information on Major Pathways in preparation for transfer.

Other Requirements are as Follows:

  1. Admission to the AA, AS, or AFA degree programs requires High School or High School Equivalency completion.
  2. All AA, AS, and AFA degree students must demonstrate proficiency in basic reading, writing, and mathematics. Proficiency in basic reading, writing, and mathematics skills is determined using multiple methods for placement (see Course Placement for details).
  3. Students must complete 30 semester hours credit, including the final 10 semester hours credit at Western Piedmont; and one half of the required General Education core requirements.  Students transferring coursework from an out of state institution will not be eligible to transfer more than 14 semester hours of general education course credit. For more information regarding the Graduation Application and Procedures, please review the Graduation Requirements in our current catalog.
  4. ACA 122 must be completed in student's first or second semester.