2016-2017 Catalog

High School Completion

The Adult High School Diploma Program and the High School Equivalency Diploma Program provide two ways to complete requirements for a high school diploma. Minor applicants, age 16 or 17 years, may enroll as defined in the admission regulations. There is no registration fee.

The Adult High School Diploma Program is a cooperative arrangement between Western Piedmont Community College and the Burke County Public School Board of Education. The College serves as the administering agency.

An individually planned program of study is developed for each student based on a formal placement test and any available high school transcript. The staff reviews previous school records and provides counseling for each student to establish academic status. The courses required for graduation are then determined. Students attend classes in English, mathematics, social studies, science, health, physical education, and electives. When a student satisfactorily completes the required courses and passes any necessary tests, a high school diploma is awarded.

The High School Equivalency Diploma Program prepares students for the High School Equivalency Exam through study at the Jim A. Richardson Complex or community class sites. Instructors assess the educational needs of entering students through the use of placement inventories and then develop an appropriate program of study. Instructors are always available for individual assistance. Students should contact the College for enrollment information.

The High School Equivalency exam measures a student’s academic achievement in the areas of social studies, science, language arts, and mathematics. Examinees who achieve the required scores are awarded the High School Equivalency Diploma. The diploma is awarded by the North Carolina State Board of Community Colleges and is the legal equivalent of a high school diploma for purposes of college admission and employment.

An applicant must be a resident of North Carolina, must have a current valid government issued photo ID and must file an application prior to testing. For more information, contact the College and Career Readiness Department.